American lost her arms and legs after a dog licked her


Spread the love

Many of us have pets that we love and consider as fully fledged family members. However, not many people know that our pets can transmit deadly infectious diseases. They say that they learn from the mistakes of others. Read how the usual game with the dog caused a resident of Ohio to lose her arms and legs as a result of a dangerous infection that invaded her body in the animal's saliva.

The tragic story of a woman named Mary Trainer began shortly after she and her husband returned home from a Caribbean vacation. Her health began to deteriorate rapidly. Because of the symptoms, the couple initially believed the woman had caught the flu. She had back pain, sudden temperature changes and nausea. When Marie became very ill, her husband took her to the hospital. Doctors began to aggressively treat her with medications, but the woman's condition worsened every hour. In addition, all signs of sepsis development were seen on the face – general damage to the body by some pathogenic microbes.

Attention: Below are photos that are not for the faint of heart.

The doctors decided to put Marie in an artificial coma (medical sleep) to slow the progression of the disease and made blood tests. It turned out that her body was affected by the bacterium Capnocytophage. Marie was in an artificial coma the whole time, doctors were fighting for her life. The woman's arms and legs became black, indicating the development of gangrene (cell tissue death).

The surgeons performed several surgeries to remove the affected areas, but this did not help. As a result, doctors were forced to stop the spread of the infection and eliminate the burn by the only method – amputation of arms and legs. After ten days of sleep, the woman awoke without limbs.

When I woke up in the hospital, I did not immediately understand where I was. It was very hard to find that they have removed my legs and arms. It's hard to accept, "the woman said in an interview with Fox 8.

How do bacteria get into the body?


Capnocytophage bacterium under the microscope

Doctors believe that the capnozytophage bacteria from one of their dogs have entered Marie's body through a small scratch on the lover's hand during a normal game with an animal. The Science Alert Portal cites American scientists and reports that these bacteria are present in saliva in 74 percent of all dogs on Earth. They are also contained in the saliva of cats, but are much less commonly transmitted from humans to humans. Since they are in the body of the animal, they do not hurt him either.

Also read: In the US, cats are no longer euthanized to diagnose an infection that affects half of the world

Statistics show that there are only very few cases of serious damage to the body by capnozytophage bacteria, which lead to consequences such as those of Marie. About 50 percent of Americans in their entire lives have been bitten at least once. However, the doctors found only a few dozen cases of capnocytophagous infection. For example, from 1972 to 2004, only 54 such events were reported.

According to a study since 1976, only 200 cases of animal bites were recorded in the world statistics, which led to an infectious infection of the human body with these bacteria. It is noted that the defeat of these bacteria most often occurs in the elderly. This is explained by the fact that the effectiveness of our immunity decreases with age.

Interesting too: How do immune cells learn to kill bacteria and viruses?

In addition, thickets give birth to older people pets. The capnozytophages include diseases such as HIV and cancer, which increase the risk of serious consequences of bacterial infection. The risk of infection is also increased by the intake of medications and substances (alcohol, smoking) that reduce immunity.

How do you become infected and how do you avoid it?

Capnocytophagous enter the human body through bites, cuts or scratches, as well as through the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and mouth. Once in the wound or on the mucous membrane, they cause redness at this site that you may not even notice. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Control, other symptoms of a body infection with a capnocytophage bacterium appear to be flu symptoms: chills, vomiting, pain in muscles and joints, sudden temperature changes, pain throughout the body. At the same time they may not appear immediately, but only 1-14 days after the bacteria have entered the body. In the future, the development of an infection can lead to even more serious, even fatal consequences.

As bacteria most commonly invade wounds on the arms and legs, as well as bites, doctors recommend thoroughly washing the contact points with soap and water. Kissing animals is not a good idea either, doctors say. If you notice any deterioration in your health due to the symptoms listed above, doctors recommend that you go to the hospital immediately.

If you are interested in science and technology news, be sure to subscribe to our channel in Yandex.Zen. There you will find materials that have not been posted on the website.