What disease can dogs from pet stores infect humans?


Spread the love

Last we talked about how a 63-year-old German resident died of an illness that his own dog had caused him. In fact, pets can cause some human health problems. For example, they can infect people with bacteria called Campylobacter jejuni that cause diarrhea, fever, and nausea. There has recently been an increase in this uncomfortable disease in the United States, and dogs from the same network of pet stores have become their distributors. There are currently no deaths, but hospital officials warn that dog-borne bacteria are not afraid of most of the antibiotics that are prescribed for poisoning. So what happened to the infected?

Dogs can infect people with dangerous bacteria.

According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, doctors knew of at least 30 cases of antibiotic-resistant bacterial infection by December 17. The center's staff managed to contact 24 patients and found that 21 of them had been in contact with dogs recently. Among them were 15 pet shop visitors, and 12 of them visited Petland, a popular pet shop in Ohio. Five victims were employees of these businesses.

Why are dogs dangerous besides aggression?

After examining the patients, the doctors found that they were all infected with Campylobacter jejuni bacteria. They usually get into the human body via animal feces and cause symptoms of intoxication such as nausea, diarrhea and fever. These bacteria can also cause poisoning of the animals, but no symptoms are observed in some people. In humans, symptoms usually go away on their own, but in rare cases, doctors have to prescribe antibiotics.

See also  New genetic tests predict the progression of the disease

Bacteria Campylobacter jejuni

Only now are most of them, like tetracycline and azithromycin, useless in the fight against bacteria. Complications leading to death can occur in complex cases of poisoning. Fortunately, no deaths have been observed so far, but hospital officials urge people to be extremely careful. At least they advise you to wash your hands after almost every contact with dogs. Otherwise, dangerous bacteria can enter the human body with food.

Do you know that an American once lost arms and legs after a dog licked her?

By the way, this is not the first diarrhea that is transmitted by dogs. The last case of a massive illness occurred in 2016. Then at least 113 people were infected with bacteria and one in five ended up in the hospital. As a result, only four people were hospitalized at this point and there is hope that their number will not increase.

If you are interested in science and technology news, subscribe to our Yandex.Zen channel. There you will find materials that were not published on the website!

It is important to note that you must wash your hands thoroughly after contact with an animal. After all, cats with dangerous diseases such as toxoplasmosis can also infect us. This disease can damage many human organs, and the eyes can be particularly affected. You can find out more in our special material.